Recurrent miscarriage is diagnosed when a woman miscarries consecutively 3 times, before 20 weeks gestation.
Often no cause is found.
Conditions which are thought to be associated with Recurrent Miscarriage:
· General disease - Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) - a disease affecting many systems of the body. People affected often have a butterfly-rash over the cheeks and bridge of the nose.
· Antiphospholipid antibody syndrome - this is an immune disease where the main problems are Recurrent Miscarriage, clots in the veins or arteries and often a low count of one of the blood components, the platelets.
· Chromosome problems - account for only 3%.
· Uterine (womb) abnormality - This is only associated in about 4%.
· Fibroids - area/s of normal uterus tissue growing in the muscle, sometimes causing mis-shaping of the womb cavity.
· Cervical incompetence (weakness) - may cause miscarriage in 2nd trimester.
· Polycystic ovary syndrome - often this disease causes infertility or difficulty in becoming pregnant. It has also been found when this is present with a raised hormone level (LH) there is an increased risk of miscarriage.
· Hormone imbalances
We will send you your Recurrent Miscarriage Profile blood and test sample collection kit together with the details of a convenient clinic where you can go and have your sample taken.
Your Recurrent Miscarriage Profile test includes 1st class postage and packaging for you to send your blood and sample directly to our laboratory for analysis. If you live in an area where you cannot rely on the post or you simply want to ensure that your sample arrives at the laboratory the following day, you may wish to send your blood and sample guaranteed next day delivery for extra reassurance.